Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised

I was pleasantly surprised, but surprised none the less, to discover that people are actually reading this blog! Why would I write if I didn’t think people were reading it all along? Because it’s very therapeutic for me to write and get these thoughts out of my head even if no one else cares to know the inner workings of my brain!

So, since more than one person has told me that this blog gives them an insight into how I am doing, I will say it plainly –

I’m progressing.

There are bad days, not so bad days and even a few moments of laughter every now and again. Most importantly Tony and I have been seeing a counselor and she has been quite helpful. Mostly she’s helped me to understand the “lay of the land”. She reassures me that what I’m experiencing is normal or that various valleys won’t last forever.

Currently, I am fearful that these new positive feelings I’ve been having may mean that I didn’t love Nick enough or that there’s something wrong with me if I already have days when I can actually take deep breaths. But again, she encouraged me to enjoy the respite while I have it. Apparently, natural breaks occur during the grief cycle and instead of complaining about when or how they come, I should embrace them and use the time to regain some strength for the next bout.

For the most part, I do have a desire to survive this process and I’ve learned that is really the most major battle in the war. Just desiring to try to make it to the end of time without being swallowed up by grief is one of the lifelong goals of grief management. For me, it’s the act of falling into grief that is extremely easy.

Grief is like a well. It takes no effort at all to step over the edge and free fall for hours or days. Just sitting, remembering, looking at photos, being alone – any of those things usually lead to hours of tumbling through the deep, dark well of sorrow.

But if I want to stop, that takes immense effort.

Somewhere along the freefall I have to decide I want to stop – which is a seriously difficult choice to begin with. Then I have to reach out and grab a slippery root or jutting rock from the side of the earthen well wall. Those roots of hope can be grasped by putting the photo album away, getting up out of bed or choosing to talk or play with Selah.

Then I begin the exhausting climb to the top - pulling and stretching one agonizing inch at a time – grasping for the next root, jagged rock, or hand hold in the dirt – and struggling my way to the top. I take a walk, make a play date for Selah, go to the grocery store whether or not I need anything, read my bible and play a worship CD, type my thoughts for the blog…

But on some occasions I’m falling with no strength to stop the decent …

Then –mercifully - a hand reaches out from nowhere and whisks me into the light. That’s when a phone call breaks into my thoughts, a neighbor taps at the door or a friend comes by to spend a few hours listening.

I’ve heard that most people don’t want to bother us so they don’t call. They don’t want to intrude so they don’t stop by. They don’t want to interrupt so they don’t knock on the door. But I’ve found that the only time I’m safe from myself is when others are around and offer their time to sit and listen to what my brain has been doing to me lately!

I’m sure it’s very trying for those who have chosen to take the challenge!

But don’t be surprised if you leave a message and I don’t call you back.

When the phone doesn’t ring, I don’t take the time to go and pick it up. If I see the message blinking, I don’t feel like taking the effort to press the button. And when I do hear a message, I become like a teenage boy fearing the first conversation with the girl who’s stolen his heart. I don’t know what to say. I’m afraid that the conversation I’ve played out in my head won’t be the one that turns out to happen. I’m not sure if what I have to say is worth your time or even if you have time for me to begin with.

So, I waste the whole day arguing with myself whether or not I should call and never get up the nerve to actually pick up the phone.

So, that’s how I’m doing – in a nut shell.

Thanks to those of you who care and those who had the nerve to ask! You are braver than I!
Andi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andi,

Thank you.

I'd like to go out on a limb now and take the liberty of speaking for many of us who love you.

When we think about calling you and don't. . . let me quote a gifted writer I know (wink).

"We don't know what to say. We're afraid that the conversation we've played out in our heads won't be the one that turns out to happen. We're not sure if what we have to say is worth your time or even if you have time for us to begin with.

So we waste the whole day arguing with ourselves whether or not we should call and never get up the nerve to actually pick up the phone."

And let me add a quote from a particularly quirky friend of yours, "we're afraid we will have nothing to offer you."

Oh, if only we would trust God to work out those details.

Thank you for reminding us that He placed us exactly where we are supposed to be. That He will work out those details because He has orchestrated all of us together for a time such as this.

And thank you that as we feebly try to minister to you, you minister to us with your God given gifts.

You are so very precious to me.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

"I’m not sure if what I have to say is worth your time or even if you have time for me to begin with."

Friends always have time for friends and the beauty of friendship is that no matter what is said or not said, it's always worth the time.

Unknown said...

Andi- You do indeed, amuse me. In the most respectful, heart-felt way, I give you this compliment.
I can only say that your entry made me think of how many times I analyze life. Whether to share God, or pray he prods someone else to obey him, even though it's MY heart and MY brain He's picking over a need.(I can't wait to meet Moses..ha ha) Why, oh why, do we think we're going to "mess up," in our deliveries in life. We are wonderfully and fearfully made and God's got our back...and our mouth, if we'd let Him direct it...ha ha
We wait for the perfect time, or perfect wording, or perfect plan, and we put so much pressure on the unknown, as if He doesn't know what He's up to, using us creatures to spread His vast love for humanity.
Thank you, for your return e-mail the other day, because I too, was allowing myself to get caught up in the "did I do the right thing? in the right timing?"
God's timing is ALWAYS perfect. Even through our imperfections.
And now that I know you need the attempts as much as the seemingly-perfectly-orchestrated plans, I'll keep callin', keep knockin', keep driving by and most of all, keep praying you through.
You are definately a Designer's original!
Jodee