Thursday, April 17, 2008

An Encouraging Moment

I thought it was time to share some of the “happy” moments that happen around here. I put “happy” in quotes because there doesn’t seem to be any innocently happy times anymore. Each one is filled with “Nick should be here to see this”, “That’s just what Nick use to do”, “I wish I could push this anvil off my chest so that I could laugh at that”. But there are some moments that truly make me smile – and this morning was a very simple one, but perfect.
A friend of mine brought by a play kitchen set for Selah to have in her room. She loved it right from the beginning. She immediately went to work stirring in the bowls, sipping from the cups, putting things in and out of the microwave and she did it all while talking on the phone. (I’m not sure where she learned that one!) I was so glad that my friend stayed to play with her because I didn’t have the energy to demonstrate it all myself.
Today I sat in her room as she played. She set up dishes for her doll (seated across from her) and a set for herself. Then she sat down, folded her hands, bowed her head, mumbled something unintelligible and then said, “Amen”.
It was the most precious thing I ever heard. And for the first time in a long time I thought, maybe we are still doing OK. Maybe my parenting skills haven’t completely disappeared. Or the Holy Spirit is just making sure we stay on the right path! I was so encouraged to know that apparently we pray regularly enough that she knows you don’t put food in your mouth – real or plastic – until you thank God for it.
I’m not tooting my own horn. I don’t feel that any of my actions deserve any sort of praise – I’m so lazy and unimaginative. But it was the only encouraging moment that I’ve had since February. So, I thought I’d share!

2 comments:

Jessica Curtis said...

Andi,

Thank you so much for this very, very precious story. How great God is to reveal Himself to you through the tiny voice of Selah!

I love you all,
Jessica Curtis

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you see the precious momements still. I know they seem rare, far and in between right now but the Lord will help you to see more as days go on. Felicity does the same thing, but now she grabs my hand and screams at me, "Pray momma, pray" LOL I think it is so darn cute when a little one thinks to pray to the Lord and when they speak I can understand nothing. I'm so glad that God can understand every word and knows her little heart more than I could ever imagine. Thanks for sharing Andi.

I love you guys
Tiffany Morice