Monday, April 7, 2008

Questions

I have been having a lot of “religious” questions in my head since the passing of my son. Questions that I believe a Christian of my years should know the answer to by now. Initially, I kept the search to myself; I searched books, online commentaries and dug through scripture myself. But then I read the following:

“Before the hurt invaded our lives, perhaps we were content for our understanding of God’s sovereignty and his way of working in the world to be fuzzy. But now the issues are not theoretical. They’re very real, and we want real answers. We want the truth, not just clichés or religious-sounding pat answers…But the truth – God’s wisdom and an understanding of the big picture – is not something that can be discovered with our minds. It is something that can be revealed to us only by the Holy Spirit. And the Spirit does not reveal the truth to those who are on a mere intellectual exercise without their hearts or wills engaged. God reveals himself to those who earnestly seek him. As he dwells within us and as he illumines our understanding of his Word, he helps us understand the ‘wonderful things God has freely given us’.” (from “The One Year Book of Hope” by Nancy Guthrie)

I realized that I was not alone and it was quite normal and natural and even expected to have these questions resurface. I began asking Pastor for his advice as well as friends and family. I also began receiving questions that were very similar to mine which verified all the more that we really are all in that same boat!

I’ve been putting some of those answers posted here. Two are “The proof for heaven” and “how I know the Holy Spirit is at work”. There are so many other questions that I had that I hope to be able to have the courage to post my journey to the answers here. Things like:
How do I know there is a God?
How do I know we’re promised eternity?
How do I know the bible is trustworthy?
What is heaven like?
Where is Nick now and is he aware of me?

So, I guess if I am going to be honest about my thoughts, all of these need to be included as well. I have to clarify that I don’t doubt my faith, but rather need to know the answer “for the hope I have in me” more concretely than I was satisfied with in the past. I hope you feel free to share you questions and answer now that you realize we all have them. There is nothing wrong with seeking. God says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek with all your heart”. I don’t believe I have ever sought with my entire heart before now!!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

A few insightful quotes I just read today on a friends blog from The Reason for God by Tim Keller.

"A faith without some doubts is like a human body without antibodies in it. People who blithely go through life too busy or indifferent to ask hard questions about why they believe as they do will find themselves defenseless against either the experience of tragedy or the probing questions of a smart skeptic."

"A person's faith can collapse almost overnight if she has failed over the years to listen patiently to her own doubts..."

"Every doubt....is based on a leap of faith."